– Iker Casillas had a glorious career with the Spanish national team as well as Real Madrid
– The 39-year-old who joined FC Porto in 2015 retired from professional football in 2020
– David Villa, Vincent Kompany are among other sensational stars who retired in the same year
Former Spain and Real Madrid legend Iker Casillas leads other thirteen high-profile footballers who called it quits with professional football in 2020.
As the year draws to a close, here we look at some top players who decided to hang their boots during the manic year which include Manchester City legend Vincent Kompany.
The former Real Madrid shot stopper Casillas retired from the beautiful game and returned to work as an official of the club’s foundation.
He left Los Blancos in 2015 to join Portuguese giants FC Porto where he spent another trophy-laden five years to wrap-up his incredible career.
Ex-Manchester City captain Kompany officially retired in August and was appointed as Anderlecht’s full-time manager.
Argentina and Barcelona icon Javier Mascherano also ended his professional career during the year as well as 42-year-old former Brazilian full-back Lucio.
Lucio announced his official retirement in January this year, months after leaving Brasiliense.
Below are 14 high-profile footballers who retired in 2020
1. Vincent Kompany (most appearances for Manchester City: 360)
2. Mario Gomez (most appearances for Stuttgart: 230)
3. Essam El Hadary (most appearances for Al Ahly: 243)
4. Leighton Baines (most appearances for Everton: 420)
5. Aritz Aduriz (most appearances for Athletic Bilbao: 405)
6. Andre Schurrle (most appearances for Bayer Leverkusen: 83)
7. Iker Casillas (most appearances for Real Madrid: 725)
8. Stephan Lichtsteiner (most appearances for Juventus: 259)
9. Javier Mascherano (most appearances for FC Barcelona: 334)
10. Daniele de Rossi (most appearances for Roma: 616)
11. Aleksandr Hleb (most appearances for Stuttgart: 221)
12. David Villa (most appearances for Valencia: 220)
13. Lucio (most appearances for Bayern Munich: 218)
14. Milan Baros (most appearances for Galatasaray: 116)
Meanwhile, Legit.ng earlier reported that Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have fallen behind tennis star Roger Federer in terms of the highest paid celebrities in 2020.
The pair share 11 Ballons d’Or among each other and have dominated the game in the last 12 years with unimaginable respective goal scoring feats.
Ronaldo and Messi still maintain a high profile among football stars and sportsmen at large but Federer has moved ahead of the duo in the year 2020 marred with economic challenges.
Despite having a dull year, the 20-time Grand Slam winner still got the highest paycheck among other celebrities in the world.
3 interesting footballing moments between Maradona and Nigeria | Legit TV