– Three soldiers have been reportedly killed by Boko Haram in Borno state
– The Nigerian operatives died after running into a landmine planted by the dread terrorist sect
– Many soldiers were said to be severely injured in a tragic incident that left the army vehicles completely damaged
At least, three operatives of the Nigerian Army have been killed by a landmine planted by the dreaded insurgent group Boko Haram.
According to credible media reports, the soldiers were killed along Maiduguri/Gomboru Ngala road on Monday, December 28, when the convoy of three battalions of Nigeria Army ran into the Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).
The soldiers, it was gathered, were escorting commuters between Gomboru Ngala and Dikwa when they ran into the landmine in what led to the death of three as many were severely injured.
A soldier who was a witness to the incident said the vehicles, which were conveying the soldiers, were badly damaged beyond repairs.
“Their troop] operation vehicle was destroyed and we lost some soldiers to IEDs buried along Dikwa/Gomboru Ngala road.
“Our prayer and thought are with their families. It is sad, we lost three soldiers to the landmines.”
The Nigerian Army has not issued any official statement on the death of the soldiers as at the time of this report.
Bandits killed by Nigerian troops
Meanwhile, in an onslaught against the banditry in the country, the Nigerian troop said it neutralised some suspected armed bandits and recovered arms in Benue state.
According to a statement released by Major General John Enenche, the coordinator of Defence media operation, the successful operation was carried out by the Operation Whirl Stroke on Monday, December 21.
Enenche said the operation was launched after credible intelligence gathering, with the Nigerian troop responding to report on the presence of the armed bandits who had been linked to the recent killing in Makurdi, Benue state capital.
Let everybody carry arms for self-defence – Zamfara monarch
Alhaji Attahiru Ahmad, Emir of Anka, has urged the state governor, Bello Matawalle to allow people to carry firearms for self-defence amid rising insecurity in the northern region.
The traditional ruler made this known on Sunday, December 20, when he paid a condolence visit to Emir of Kaura-Namoda Alhaji Sanusi Muhammad Asha following bandits’ attack on his convoy.
The monarch was attacked by suspected gunmen along Zaria-Funtua road on Thursday night, December 17.
Buhari should put an end to banditry, unrest in Zamfara – Nigerians cry | – on Legit TV